If you haven't heard of Google by now, I'm not sure what planet you have been living on, but it definitely hasn't been Earth. Everyone knows about the famous Google search engine, but did you know there is a complete suite of Google products that are available for the everyday user? These products include gmail (an online email application), google docs and spreadsheets, google maps, google calendar and google talk just to name a few. In the past few years Google has also bought out successful web companies such as youtube and picasa to add to their suite of products. Check out the full list of Google products and services.
In the last few years, there have been many reports that Google has become the new microsoft. Even if this is the case, Google is offering web based applications at a minimal cost to the user (usually only exposure to some advertisements) and the new generation is utilising these applications more and more everyday. This week's task will introduce you to some Google applications including Google Maps, Google Docs and Spreadsheets and Google Book Search. Next week you will be able to join these applications together on your new google homepage.
Before completing any of the tasks below, please create a google account using your Deakin email address. If you are using blogspot for your blog, you already have a google account. Please use this for all google tasks.
- Take a tour of Google Maps.
- Go to Google Maps Australia and find the following:
- your place of work
- your home
- hotels in brunswick (remember there are many places in the world named Brunswick so you may need to put the state or country in the search field too).
- Find directions from Swinburne University Hawthorn campus to Deakin University Waterfront Campus. Hint: type in john street hawthorn to gheringhap st geelong.
- Finally, create a post in your blog telling the world about google maps. What did you think of google maps?